In a Press Release today the BPM announced it would be boycotting Independence celebrations on Barbuda. The party cited the following examples of the treatment of Barbudans by the current administration as the reasons for this. But Nibbs is right about buying Barbudans with a cooler – it’s all that seems to happen now in Barbuda. A free party every weekend and the rest of the week off to get over it. But this is the plan, eh Arthur?
BARBUDA PEOPLES’ MOVEMENT
C0DRINGTON BARBUDA via St. Johns ANTIGUA.
Tel. (268) 460-0434
24th October 2016
The Executive and general membership of the Party having met and considered the disregard for the rule of Law, the disrespect for the people of Barbuda and the Barbuda Council as demonstrated by the current government administration; we cannot in good conscience pretend to be enjoying the fruits of 35 years of independence. We will therefore boycott all official events connected to the 35th celebration of Antigua’s independence. The following list details some of our main concerns:-
1. The incendiary statements made by Prime Minister Gaston Brown and Attorney General Steadroy Benjamin that the Barbuda Land Act 2007 “… is not worth the Paper it is written on“.
2. Irresponsible and baseless claims that the “Barbuda Land Act is unconstitutional“
3. Declaring that Barbudans taking action in the Courts Of Law are “economic terrorists” and that the he would use the resources of the State to “bankrupt them” and that “any persons standing in the way of development will be eliminated”.
4. For indicating that the entrenched Barbuda Local Government Act will be removed from the Constitution.
5. The relegation of Barbudans to “second class ” citizens status again.
6. The rapacious grab of Barbudan lands by real estate speculators posing as investors.
7. The insulting statement made by Minister Arthur Nibbs claiming that Barbudans can easily be bought with a “cooler with some beer and drinks”.
Trevor Walker Fabian Jones Mackenzie Frank
Political Leader Chairman General Secretary